- Large eggplant- 1 (around 250-300 gm)
- Onion paste- 2 Tbs
- Onion- 2 Tbs (chopped)
- Turmeric powder- 1 ts + 1/2 ts
- Red chili powder- 1/2 ts + 1/2 ts
- Cumin powder- 1/2 ts
- Ginger paste- 1 ts
- Garlic paste- 1 ts
- Cardamom- 3-4 pieces
- Bay leaves- 2 pieces
- Tamarind sauce- around 1 Tbs
- Tomato sauce- 2 Tbs
- Sugar- around 1 Tbs
- Oil- For eggplant fry + 3 Tbs
- Salt- 1/2 ts + 1/2 ts or according to your taste
- Cut eggplant into round shape pieces,wash and drain water.
- Rub 1/2 ts salt,1/2 ts red chili powder and 1 ts turmeric powder on the slices of the eggplant(both side) and and keep it for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a fry pan and fry the eggplant slices until cooked and golden brown color comes out on both sides. Remove from the pan and let it cool. Now blend them or you can mash with your hand.(if you do not want too much oil, do not use the extra oil)
- Heat 3 Tbs oil in a pan. Add cardamom and bay leaves and stir for a while. Add chopped onion and stir until soft. Now add all the rest of the ingredients except sugar. Stir all masala in lower medium heat until oil comes out side of the pan.
- Now add mashed fried eggplant and stir well. Stir around 3-4 minutes. Now add a little warm water. When water reduced add sugar and cook another 2-3 minutes. Check your catni. If you need add little more sugar.
- Remove from the pan and serve with polao,biriany or khicuri.
Tania Ahsan, USA