- Masoor dal- 1/2 cup
- Potato- 2 medium size (around 400 gm)
- Onion (chopped)- 2 Tbs
- Garlic (chopped)- 3 clove
- Ginger (chopped)- 1 Tbs
- Whole red chili- 2 pieces
- Bay leaf- 1 pieces
- Fenugreek seed - 1/4 ts (please see the notes below)
- Fennel seed- 1/4 ts (please see the notes below)
- Black cumin seed- 1/4 ts(please see the notes below)
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 ts
- Cumin powder- 1/2 ts
- Red chili powder- 1/2 ts
- Salt- 1 ts or to taste
- Oil- 3 Tbs
- Coriander leaf (chopped)- 1 Tbs (optional)
- Peel and wash the potatoes and then cut into long thin strips (julienne) and set aside. (if you want you can fry the potato in oil for around 5 minutes and set them aside)
- Wash the dal and soak it in water for 4-5 minute and then drain the water.
- Heat oil in a sauce pan. Then add the fenugreek seed, fennel seed, black cumin seed, whole red chili, and bay leaf; let them temper for few seconds. Then add the chopped garlic, chopped ginger and chopped onion and fry them until the onion become soft and light brown in color.
- Now add the washed da, add turmeric powder, red chili powder & cumin powde, fry them for around 1 minute and then add around 2-3 cups of water.
- Cook dal in medium heat until it is 6o% done.
- Then add the cut potato into the dal, stir it, then cover the pan and let them cook until the potato become soft (around 10 minutes).
- Spread the chopped coriander on top of the curry and turn off the heat.
- Serve the curry warm with ruti, parata or luci.
(Portland, Oregon, USA)