- Semolina/Shuji- 1 cup
- Sugar- 1 & 1/4 cup
- Water- 2 & 1/2 cup
- Salt- 1/4 ts
- Ghee/ Clarified butter- 6 Tbs
- Bay leaf - 1 pieces
- Cardamom- 2 pieces
- Clove- 2 pieces
- Chopped nuts (for decoration) - 1 Tbs (optional)
- Take sugar, water, salt, bay leaf, cardamom and clove in a pan and put in the burner to boil. When the syrup start to boil, turn the heat to low and let it simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- In the mean time, take shuji in another pan and dry roast it in medium heat until it turns to a light brown color (a nice aroma will spread all over while it is done). Then add the ghee and fry for another 4-5 minutes.
- Now carefully add the sugar syrup in the roasted shuji and mix it. Then let it cook for 4-5 minutes or until shuji is cooked and water is reduced (do not make it too dry. When halwa start to spread all over vigorously, then turn off the burner.).
- Take the serving plate (the plate should be 2 or 3 inch deep) and carefully pour your halwa in it. Then tap the plate to make the top even. Spread the chopped nuts on the top and keep it aside to cool completely (Tips).
- Then you can serve it plain as a dessert or with Luchi, Parata.
If you want to serve your halwa as a square shaped or diamond shaped barfi, then place your halwa in the refrigerator after pouring it on serving plate for around 20-25 minutes. Then cut it in your desierd shape to serve.