|For cake:||For syrup: |
- Melt the butter in a mixing bowl, then add milk/yogurt, sugar, and mix them well. Beat the egg in another bowl and then add it in the butter mixture and beat them well.
- Take semolina, baking powder, nutmeg powder and cardamom powder in a separate dry bowl and mix them to distribute baking powder evenly with semolina.
- Then add the dry mixture in the liquid mixture and mix them to make a smooth batter.
- Now brush the baking pan with oil/ghee and pour the batter on it and smooth the top with a spoon. Then keep that in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours to set up.
- In the mean time, take sugar, water and lemon juice in a pan; and bring it to a boil. Then add the honey in the syrup and let it simmer in medium heat for around 10 minutes. Then turn off the heat and keep it aside to cool down.
- Take out basbusa from the refrigerator and score it into desired shapes. Place the almonds on top of each square or diamond shape.
- Preheat the oven at 350°F/170°C, put the baking tray into the oven and bake it for around 40 minutes. It will be better to start checking your cake after 25-30 minutes.
- Carefully take out the cake from the oven and pour the syrup on the top of the cake and then bake it for another 15 minutes.
- Then cut again along the score lines and let it cool completely before serving.