- Grated papaya - 2 cups
- Milk- 500 ml
- Sugar - 1/4 cup or to taste
- Cardamom- 2 pieces
- Bay leaf- 1 piece
- Cinnamon- 1 piece
- Salt- 1 pinch
- Ghee/ clarified butter- 1/2 cup
- Milk powder - 1 Tbs (optional)
- Chopped Almond- 1/4 cup
- Boil around 4 cups of water in a pan. When water start to boil add the grated papaya, and salt; and boil them for around 1 minutes. Then drain the water through a strainer and keep aside.
- Boil the milk and reduce it to around 3/4. Set it aside.
- Now heat ghee in a pan. Add the cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaf, half of the chopped almond and boiled grated papaya; and fry them for around 5 minutes in a medium heat.
- Then add the milk slowly in the fried papaya and stir it (do not add all the milk at once, the milk may start to curdling).
- Add the sugar and mix it. Boil it in a medium heat for around five minutes. Then spread the milk powder and stir it in shemai. Turn off the heat.
- Pour the papaya shemai in a serving bowl, garnish the top with the rest of the chopped almond and serve.