- Masoor Dal (lentil) - 1 Cups
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 ts
- Salt - 1& 1/2 ts
- Tomato - 1 medium size (cut in 4 pieces)
- Whole red Chili - 3 pieces
- Panch-phoron (bengali 5 spice) - 1 ts
- Chopped Garlic - 2 Tbs
- Chopped Onion - 1/2 cup
- Chopped coriander - 1 Tbs
- Oil - 4 Tbs
- Soak the dal in water for around half and hour and then wash it well.
- Take dal in a medium size saucepan, add around 2 Cups of water and put it on the burner in a medium high heat to boil.
- Boil it until your dal become tender enough to break it down with a whisk(it may take 20- 25 minutes).
- Add the turmeric powder and salt in the dal and whisk it to make a coarse mixture. then add around 2 and half cups of warm water and the cut tomato in the mixture and make a boil.
- Now heat the oil in another pan. Add Panch- Phoron and whole red chili to the oil and fry for them for 4-5 seconds. Then add the chopped Garlic and fry it for another 3-4 seconds and finally add the chopped onion and fry them until the onion become soft and light brown in color (Tips: it is important to add the spices separately in oil, not all at the same time because this gives the nice aroma of each spice in your dal ).
- Then carefully pour the hot oil with fried spice in the the liquid dal and make the dal another boil for around 2-3 minutes, spread the chopped coriander on the top of dal. Now your dal is ready to serve.