18-20 sweets can be made with this recipe.
size of pan.We should take such amount
of syrup so thatall sweet can deep into it.
- Take the sugar and water in a big pan (the pan have to be big enough to hold all the sweets in a single layer and the depth of the syrup should be enough for all sweets to be submerged into), add the cardamon into it and bring them to a boil. Once the syrup starts to boil add the lemon juice and turn the heat to the lowest setting of the burner and let them simmer.
- Now take the milk powder(if the milk powder is in coarse form, then grind them in a grinder to make them fine), flour, semolina (shuji), baking powder in a large mixing bowl and mix them evenly. Add the ghee into it and mix them well so that the ghee can be incorporated into the dry ingredients (this mixing may take 5-6 minutes).
- After give a good mixing to the ingredients, take some dry mix at one side of bowl, spread some heavy whipping cream in it to form a dough like consistency and make your sweet in your desired shape. Following this step, make your sweet one at a time. Do not add too much cream. Only add that amount of cream so that you can able to make your sweet smooth. (See the video attached in the below). Tips: Do not make all sweets at a time if your frying pan is not big enough to hold all the sweets. If you keep the sweets for long time before fry, they will dry up and the surface will not remain smooth. So, make 5-6 sweets at a time, then fry them and soak in the syrup. After that make another batch of sweets.
- Pour the oil in a frying pan and heat it well in a medium heat. To test the heat of oil, drops a small piece of sweet in the oil. If oil is ready then the sweet will sit in the bottom of the pan for few seconds and then it will come up to the top of the oil.
- Now carefully add 5-6 sweets into the oil and carefully rotate them with a wooden spoon to fry the sweets evenly all over the surface (remember not to hurry during frying the sweets otherwise the inside of the sweets will remain undone which will give a hard pit like thing).
- When the sweets will turn to a deep brown color , take them out from the oil and directly drop them into the syrup which is still simmering in low heat, and cover them.
- After adding all sweets into syrup, wait 2- 3 minutes and then turn off the heat and allow the sweets to soak in the syrup over night (10-12 hours).
- Then take out the sweets from the syrup. Cover the surface with maowa and serve them.
If you can not see the video in the YouTube, please click here to see in the vimeo.com.
(Portland, Oregon, USA)